Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thanksgiving/Christmas Cactus

A little early, but in its first year of blooming, my 'Christmas' cactus is about to bloom....just in time for Thanksgiving!

These plants are actually epiphytes, also known as 'air plants'. It grows upon itself. Mine came from a clearance sale at Home Depot, all of $1, in a 4" pot.

I believe the timing of blooms has more to do with the change of conditions that my cactus was exposed to, than the timing of the holidays. My cactus spent the summer on my southeast facing porch. Very little direct light (from the east side). When the nights started regularly dipping into the upper 40's, I brought it inside to a window with the same exposure. For more information, check out this website (from an expert, as I am just an amateur in this area):

http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/giftflowers/flowersandoccassions/christmas-cactus

As you can see, it is quite happy. After it finishes its bloom season, I will begin propogating for new pots and gifts to friends for next holiday season.

Yes, holidays are just around the corner and plants make great, personal gifts. In fact, I am thinking of the person I with when I bought this plant.

Happy Pre-Holidays,
Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use this space to post your comments. I will reply to any questions as soon as possible. You can always call me for a quicker answer! 404-985-9716