Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is there a blueberry bush in your future?

One of the easiest fruiting plants to grow in our area are blueberries. I have two -- in the pots I originally planted them in 5 years ago -- that provide me with weeks of fresh berries for my cereal nearly every June. (I say 'nearly', because two years ago a late freeze wiped out most of the blueberry crops in Georgia, a very rare occurrence for these hardy plants.)
Everybody know the health benefits to the blueberry. What you need to know about growing them is... you must plant two varieties to get cross pollination. I have Britewell and Austin, similar in size and shape. Blueberries like our native soils, and a wet location is great for them -- they don't mind a little sogginess...which we have a lot of from all this winter rain, huh?!
Where to get the best plants and bargains? I suggest you try the annual Pickens County Master Gardener and 4H Plant Sale. This is where I bought mine, which produced berries the first year because they bring in 3-year-old plants. It usually takes blueberry plants 3 years to set fruit, so you get produce from the get go. Sales benefit the educational programs the Master Gardeners provide through the Farmers Market and other venues in Jasper, and the 4H program in the county. It is a short drive and a very well-organized pickup for all their plants. Yes, they have lots of plants at great prices and outstanding quality! They even provide full description PDFs and growing instructions!

http://www.pickensmg.com/index_files/page0014.htm

Check back with me in June, let me know how you are enjoying your high antioxident berries!

Pruning away on a beautiful day,
Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use this space to post your comments. I will reply to any questions as soon as possible. You can always call me for a quicker answer! 404-985-9716